February is American Heart Month!
7 simple steps to a longer, healthier life
By American Heart Association News
Taking care of yourself can lead to a longer, healthier life. There are seven simple steps that research has shown can make a difference. Each involves making good choices and require some discipline, but all are doable.
Dubbed “Life’s Simple 7” by the American Heart Association, they involve:
- Eating better, that can stave off chronic disease. Steps include increasing your intake of vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds.
- Maintaining a healthy weight because this can reduce the burden on your heart, lungs, blood vessels and bones.
- Exercising, that can help with your cholesterol levels, weight and muscle tone.
- Quitting cigarettes because even one can hurt you.
- Managing blood pressure. Unhealthy ranges strain the heart, arteries and kidneys.
- Controlling cholesterol to give your arteries the best chance to stay clear of fatty blockages that reduce blood flow.
- Reducing blood sugar. This can lower the risk of dying from cardiovascular disease.
Time to eat more heart healthy foods like those found at our market
Market every Saturday 10-2, year round. We gladly accept the Texas Lone Star Card (SNAP) for food purchases. Open all year round, inside a reconverted enclosed barn; our vendors include a wide variety of local producers, growers, ranchers, farmers, artisans, and more. Some of our offerings: Grass fed beef, pastured chickens and pork, farm eggs, local honey, olive oil, shrimp, cut flowers, herbs, plants, in season vegetables and fruits, breads, baked goods, prepared foods, jam, jellies, pickles, cookies and confections, breakfast tacos, soups, Chineese herbal products, artisan goods such as candles, soaps, knitted items, metal arts, wooden bowels, gourd art, and so much more.
Find us on Facebook!