Satisfying and robust in flavor, this vegetable-filled, all-in-one dinner needs only crusty bread and a beverage to complete the menu.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Servings: 4 - 2 cup. 5 A Day servings: 3.
• 3 medium zucchini, washed and ends removed
• 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
• 1 tbsp. olive oil
• 1 tbsp. dried leaf basil, crushed
• ½ tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
• 2 cups prepared no-fat pasta sauce
• 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
• 8 oz. dried pasta, shape of choice
• 1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley or basil
• grated Parmesan cheese, optional*
1. Cut zucchini in quarters lengthwise and cut into ½-inch pieces. Place zucchini, onion, garlic, and olive oil with seasonings in large, deep skillet and sauté over MEDIUM heat until soft. Stir often.
2. Add prepared sauce, mix well, and let simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in ½ cup chopped tomato and allow to heat thoroughly.
3. In a separate pot, cook pasta as directed on package. Drain well and place in large serving bowl. Add sauce and mix gently. Top with the reserved ½ cup chopped tomatoes and chopped herbs. Serve hot.
*Optional ingredients are not included in the dietary analysis.
Nutritional Information per Serving
Calories: 350 Carbohydrates: 60g
Total Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 0mg
Saturated Fat: 0.5g Dietary Fiber: 7g
% of Calories from Fat: 14% Sodium: 370mg
Credit: Recipe developed for the Produce for Better Health Foundation by
Chef Carmen I. Jones, CCP.