2 medium zucchini -- unpeeled
1/2 pound Italian sausage - removed from casings
1/4 cup chopped onions
8 ounces corn muffin mix
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Coarsely shred enough zucchini to make 1/3 cup; set aside. Cut remainder into 1/4-inch slices.
- In skillet, over moderate heat, brown sausage; crumble well. Leaving drippings in skillet, remove sausage to drain. Reduce heat. Add onion and zucchini slices to pan. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until slightly tender, about 5 minutes, stirring twice and gently.
- In a well-sprayed 8x1-1/2 inch round cake pan, starting in center of dish, arrange cooked zucchini slices in concentric circles using all of the slices.
- Set oven temperature to 350º
- Make the corn muffin mix according to package instructions for Johnnie Cake. Add cheese, crumbled sausage, and shredded zucchini to cornbread batter. Spread mixture evenly over the zucchini slices.
- Bake for 25 minutes (more or less) or till top is golden.
- Using a spatula, loosen sides of corn bread from dish; invert onto a serving platter. Let it stand a little.
Makes 6 wedges. Serve warm.