Vegetable Pasta with Fresh Tomatoes
Satisfying and robust in flavor, this vegetable-filled, all-in-one dinner needs only crusty bread and a beverage to complete the menu.
• 3 medium zucchini, washed and ends removed
• 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
• 1 tbsp. olive oil
• 1 tbsp. dried leaf basil, crushed
• ½ tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
• 2 cups prepared no-fat pasta sauce
• 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
• 8 oz. dried pasta, shape of choice
• 1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley or basil
• grated Parmesan cheese, optional*
- Cut zucchini in quarters lengthwise and cut into ½-inch pieces. Place zucchini, onion, garlic, and olive oil with seasonings in large, deep skillet and sauté over MEDIUM heat until soft. Stir often.
- Add prepared sauce, mix well, and let simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in ½ cup chopped tomato and allow to heat thoroughly.
- In a separate pot, cook pasta as directed on package. Drain well and place in large serving bowl. Add sauce and mix gently. Top with the reserved ½ cup chopped tomatoes and chopped herbs. Serve hot.