juice of 1/2 lemon
1 chopped onion
1/2 lb. cheddar cheese, grated
2 eggs, well beaten
1 cup fine, dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup milk
salt, pepper, dried basil to taste
- Halve and parboil eggplant with lemon juice for 15 minutes. Drain.
- Scoop out the meat and mash. Reserve shells.
- Mix onion, cheese, eggs, bread crumbs, milk and seasonings and mix with mashed eggplant.
- Stuff shells. Bake at 350° F. for 30 minutes, until bubbly.
1 onion chopped
2 tablespoons minced parsley
1 cup bread crumbs (flavored)
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
6 small eggplants
- Mix meat eggs, onion, parsley, bread crumbs, cheese, salt and pepper.
- Cut tops (1 inch) of egg eggplants and save. Using grapefruit knife and spoon, hollow out centers of eggplant leaving 1/2 inch shell. Chop pulp and saute in 1/4 to 1/3 cup hot olive oil until lightly browned. Add eggplant to meat mixture. Fill eggplants and brush shells with oil.
- Place in oiled casserole cover with eggplant tops, and bake at 350° F. for 30 to 40 minutes or cooked through.
Note: Add spaghetti sauce if desired last 15 minutes of baking time.
1 garlic clove minced
1/4 C. olive oil
1 eggplant cubed
1 green pepper cut in strips
1 C. tomatoes diced
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 t. oregano
grated parmesan cheese
- Saute onion and garlic in oil for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add eggplant and bell peppers. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, salt, pepper and oregano. Simmer covered for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
3 tablespoons bacon drippings or vegetable oil
1/2 cup onion chopped
2 teaspoon chili powder
1 can (1 lb.) tomatoes
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup buttered coarse bread crumbs
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Sauté eggplant lightly in drippings or oil in a large skillet; place in 8 cup casserole.
- Sauté onions in same pan until soft; stir in chili powder and cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, parsley, sugar, salt, and pepper; heat to boiling; pour over eggplant; top with crumbs and cheese.
- Bake 350° 30 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
3 medium eggplants, skin on, cut into chunks
1 cup olive oil, divided
1 Tbsp salt
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 large onions, thinly sliced
1 cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
Juice of 2 lemons
- Place eggplant in foil-lined roasting pan. Toss with ½ cup olive oil, salt and garlic.
- Bake 35 minutes at 400 degrees or until eggplant is soft but not mushy. Cool 5 minutes in pan, transfer to large bowl.
- Heat remaining live oil in large skillet; add onions and cook, covered, over low heat until tender, about 15 minutes. Add onions to eggplant. Season generously with pepper. Add basil and lemon juice, toss. Serve at room temperature.
How To Grill Eggplant
Herbs of choice
Start by slicing the eggplant into quarter inch slices lengthwise - this goes for other veggies that you want to grill with it. Marinate in a baking dish with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and just about any herbs that turn you on. Add chopped garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Marinate for about an hour and grill over a medium grill until they're nicely soft and grilled. Serve warm and bask in the glow of compliments from your friends.
Herbed Eggplant Slices
1 Clove garlic; minced
1 tb Fresh minced oregano
1/4 c Fresh basil leaves
1/2 c Fresh minced Italian parsley
1 Eggplant; 1 1/2 lbs
Salt & pepper
Preheat oven to 400'. Spray a baking sheet & set aside. In a small bowl, combine garlic, oregano, basil & parsley. Mix well & set aside. Slice the eggplant into 12-quarter inch rounds. Generously season each side with salt & pepper. Bake on baking sheet until tender 7 slightly browned, 5-7 minutes on each side. Brush each slice with the herbs & place under the broiler 30 seconds. Transfer to a serving plate & serve immediately.
This classic, pungent Middle Eastern spread is best when refrigerated for three hours prior to serving.
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup tahini
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Place eggplant on baking sheet, and make holes in the skin with a fork. Roast it for 30 to 40 minutes, turning occasionally, or until soft. Remove from oven, and place into a large bowl of cold water. Remove from water, and peel skin off.
- Place eggplant, lemon juice, tahini, sesame seeds, and garlic in an electric blender, and puree. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer eggplant mixture to a medium size mixing bowl, and slowly mix in olive oil. Refrigerate for 3 hours before serving.
Here is a great recipe for moussaka, a Greek dish. It includes sliced eggplant baked in a ground beef sauce and then smothered in a thin white sauce.
3 eggplants, peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch thick slices
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 pound lean ground beef
Salt to taste
Ground black pepper to taste
2 onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon fines herbs
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup red wine
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 cups milk
1/2 cup butter
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Salt to taste
Ground white pepper, to taste
- Lay the slices of eggplant on paper towels, sprinkle lightly with salt, and set aside for 30 minutes to draw out the moisture. Then in a skillet over high heat, heat the olive oil. Quickly fry the eggplant until browned. Set aside on paper towels to drain.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and add the ground beef, salt and pepper to taste, onions, and garlic. After the beef is browned, sprinkle in the cinnamon, nutmeg, fines herbs and parsley. Pour in the tomato sauce and wine, and mix well. Simmer for 20 minutes. Allow to cool, and then stir in beaten egg.
- To make the béchamel sauce, begin by scalding the milk in a saucepan. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Lower heat; gradually pour in the hot milk, whisking constantly until it thickens. Season with salt, and white pepper.
- Arrange a layer of eggplant in a greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Cover eggplant with all of the meat mixture, and then sprinkle 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese over the meat. Cover with remaining eggplant, and sprinkle another 1/2 cup of cheese on top. Pour the béchamel sauce over the top, and sprinkle with the nutmeg. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
1 (12 to 14-ounce) eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch-thick rounds
1 zucchini, quartered lengthwise
1 red bell pepper, cut lengthwise into 6 strips
1 medium onion, cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds
3 tablespoons garlic-flavored olive oil
2 to 3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
Place eggplant, zucchini, red bell pepper and onion on baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper; turn to coat.
Grill vegetables over medium high heat until tender and tinged with brown, turning frequently, about 6 minutes for eggplant and zucchini and about 10 minutes for red bell pepper and onion. Transfer to serving platter and sprinkle top with cheese. Sprinkle on the balsamic vinegar after cooking.
EGGPLANT AND TOMATO WITH CHEVRE
1 small eggplant (3/4 lb)
2 teaspoons coarse salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
salt and pepper
3 tomatoes, thickly sliced
1 tablespoon fresh snipped chives or green onion tops
2 ounces creamy chevre (goat’s cheese)
1/4 cup whipping cream
- Trim eggplant; cut crosswise into 1/4-in slices. Sprinkle slices with coarse salt; place in colander to drain for 30 minutes.
- Rinse eggplant well under cool running eater; pat dry and set aside.
- In skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium high heat; cook onion, garlic and hot pepper flakes, stirring often, 3 to 5 minutes or until onion is softened. Spoon half of onion mixture into greased 13-by-9-in baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Overlap slices of eggplant and tomato over onion mixture; sprinkle with chives and drizzle 2 tablespoons oil over top.
- Cover with a piece of waxed or parchment paper cut to fit the dish, and applied directly to surface; bake in 400F oven 10 minutes. Remove paper; drizzle with remaining oil.
- Replace paper; bake 20 minutes longer, basting occasionally with juices that collect in baking dish, until eggplant is tender.
- Remove dish from oven; let stand 1 to 2 hours for flavors to develop. About 10 minutes before serving, heat broiler and remove paper from baking dish.
- In small bowl, combine goat cheese and cream until smooth. Dot teaspoonfuls of the mixture evenly over top of eggplant dish.
- Broil about 2 minutes or until cheese is melted and lightly browned. Serve at once or at room temperature. Serves 6
Chunky Eggplant And Rosemary Sauce
1 lg. eggplant, diced with skin on
2 med. onions, chopped coarsely
3 cloves garlic, chopped
4 c. fresh chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp. rosemary
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 tsp. cayenne pepper, or to taste
1/2 c. fresh chopped parsley
2 to 3 tbsp. olive oil
1 c. stock (vegetable)
Chop onions, garlic and celery. Heat oil in a large pot and sauté vegetables for 5 minutes until golden. Sprinkle with rosemary. Dice eggplant and add to pot. Stir briefly, then add tomatoes with their juices (make sure they are not the pink plastic winter variety - they do not have enough flavor or juice). Allow the sauce to come to a boil, then add stock. Bring to the boil again and reduce to a simmer, uncovered. Put on water for pasta. Add cayenne pepper and half the parsley and continue to simmer sauce uncovered. When the water has boiled, add pasta, stirring until the strands have separated and the water is boiling madly. If the pasta is fresh, boil only two to three minutes, until al dente, still slightly firm, but not soft; if dried, it may need to boil up to seven minutes. Test it occasionally. Drain and transfer pasta to a warm bowl, pour the eggplant sauce on top and toss. Serve immediately garnished with parsley and cayenne pepper.
Eggplant - Zucchini Casserole
1 lg. eggplant
1/2 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. chopped green pepper
1 c. spaghetti, broken in pieces (cooked)
2 cans tomato sauce
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 oz. sliced Mozzarella cheese
1/4 c. water
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. oregano
Peel and slice eggplant. Slice zucchini. Mix tomato sauce, water, Worcestershire sauce, salt, garlic and oregano. Put 1/2 of eggplant in shallow baking dish. Cover with 1/2 of zucchini, green pepper, celery and spaghetti. Put on 1/2 cheese and 1/2 of tomato mixture. Repeat layers. Cover. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Peel and cut the eggplant into 1/3-inch thick slices. Salt the slices. Place on a rack or colander and let stand for 30 minutes. Wipe off salt with a clean kitchen towel. Lay the slices out on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Brush on barbecue sauce. Bake for 15 minutes. Turn over, brush with barbecue sauce, and bake for 15 minutes more or until the eggplant is tender but not mushy.
Barley Risotto with Shrimp Eggplant
7 tb Olive oil
1 Shallot; minced
2 c Pearl barley
8 c Vegetable stock
3 Japanese eggplant
10 Lg shrimp; peeled cut 4 pieces
1/4 c Grated pecorino cheese
In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until translucent. Add barley; stir to coat with the oil. Reduce heat to medium. Continue cooking barley, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes; take care not to let it brown. While barley is cooking, bring vegetable stock to a boil. Add vegetable stock to barley, a cup at time. Cook, stirring frequently, until liquid is almost absorbed before adding more liquid. Keep adding liquid, stirring frequently until barley pearls are al dente, about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, cut eggplant into 1/2-inch cubes. Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté eggplant, stirring frequently, until soft, about 12 minutes. Set aside. Using skillet in which eggplant was cooked, add remaining tablespoon of oil. Sauté shrimp until pink. When barley is done, stir in eggplant and shrimp. Add grated pecorino cheese. Serve.
Bean and Eggplant Stew
1 c Great Northern beans, dried
2 tb Olive oil
3 Bay leaves
1 ts Dried basil
1/2 ts Dried oregano
1/2 lg Spanish onion; sliced
3 Garlic cloves; minced
1 md Eggplant; diced
1 1/2 c Cooking liquid from beans
20 Sun-dried tomato halves; minced
1 tb Wine vinegar
Cook beans in 3 1/2 cups of water for 1 1/2 to 2 hours on the stovetop or 10 to 15 minutes in a pressure cooker. Reserve cooking liquid. Heat oil in a large soup kettle over medium heat. Sauté bay leaves, basil, oregano and onion until onion is soft and translucent. Add garlic and eggplant and sauté for 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is tender.
Beef and Eggplant Casserole
1 lb Lean ground beef; (or 3/4 pound beef and 1/4 pound ground lamb)
1 1/2 md Onions; chopped
2 Cloves garlic; chopped
1 1/2 tb Dill
Freshly ground pepper; (to taste)
1 Eggplant; (or 3 summer squash or a combination of both)
2 c Low-fat yogurt
Brown meat. Combine with the onion, garlic, dill and pepper. Slice eggplant or squash into long slices, about 1/8 inch thick. In a casserole 8x8x2 inches, arrange one layer of vegetables. Pour yogurt on top of this mixture. Bake in 350 degrees oven for 45-60 minutes, until casserole starts to bubble. Serves 4.
Capanato (Sicilian Eggplant)
1/4 c. olive oil
2 med. eggplants, unpeeled, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 med. onions, finely chopped
1 lg. garlic clove, minced
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 tsp. salt
Pepper, to taste
2 c. stewed tomatoes, undrained and chopped
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. oregano
10 black olives, chopped
2 tbsp. chopped walnuts
1/4 c. vinegar
1 tbsp. sugar
Heat olive oil and sauté eggplants (use more oil if necessary). When eggplant is cooked and tender, transfer it to a dish and set aside. In 2 tablespoons olive oil sauté onions, garlic and celery until onions are soft. Return eggplant to pot and add remaining ingredients. Simmer for 15-20 minutes. Capanato should be thick but not dry. Add a little water if mixture is too dry and cook a little longer if it is too wet. Serve chilled or at room temperature. Serves 6-8.
4 med. long eggplants
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 thumb-size piece ginger root
2 stalks green onions
3 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
1/4 tsp. crushed red chili pepper (optional)
Cut eggplant into 1/4 x 1-inch pieces. Cook in a small amount of boiling water until almost done, 5 to 8 minutes. Drain.
Cream of Eggplant Soup
1 stick butter
2 lg. onions, diced
1-2 potatoes, diced
2 c. celery, diced
2 med. peeled eggplant, diced
1 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. basil
Dash garlic sauce
1 tsp. vegetable seasoning
Salt to taste
8 c. chicken stock
1 1/2 c. half and half (or milk)
Parmesan cheese, sour cream or lemon slices
Sauté onions and celery in butter. Add diced eggplant when onions are soft. Add potatoes, unpeeled, and cook 3 minutes. Add seasonings and 3 cups of chicken stock. Simmer for about 40 minutes. Puree. This can be frozen at this point. Put in large pot, add rest of the stock. Simmer about 20 minutes. Pour in the cream, heat over low fire. Adjust seasoning. Can be served hot or cold. Garnish with lemon slices, sour cream or Parmesan cheese. Freezes well.
2 md Eggplants
2 tb Vegetable oil
1 Onion; finely chopped
1/2 c Celery; finely chopped
1 cl Garlic; minced
1 c Ground beef
1/2 c Water
1 Egg; beaten
1 1/2 ts Salt
1/2 ts Black pepper
1/2 ts Red pepper
1 ts Creole seasoning
2 tb Butter
1/2 c Bread crumbs
5 Green onion tops; finely chopped
3 Parsley; finely chopped
Toasted bread crumbs
Peel eggplant. Drop whole eggplants and 2 teaspoons salt into boiling water. Boil until tender. Drain. Split in half and remove larger seeds to prevent bitterness. Mash eggplant with potato masher. Heat oil in large skillet. Add onion, celery and garlic. Sauté 2 minutes. Add meat and brown well on slow heat. Add water, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Add more water if necessary - meat should not be dry. Add mashed eggplant and blend well. Add egg, stirring to prevent curdling. Add salt, black and red pepper, Creole seasoning, butter and breadcrumbs. Blend. Remove from heat. Add onion tops and parsley. Place in 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Top with breadcrumbs. Bake in preheated 350F oven 10-15 minutes.
Easy Eggplant Casserole
1 sm Eggplant
1/2 lb Sausage, bulk
1 sm Onion; chopped
1 Egg; well beaten
1/2 c Breadcrumbs, dry
1 ts Butter (or marg.); melted
1/4 c Cracker crumbs
Peel eggplant, and cut into 1" cubes; cook in a small amount of boiling water 10 minutes or until tender. Drain. Let cool slightly.
Cook sausage and onion until onion is tender and sausage is brown. Combine eggplant, sausage mixture, egg, and breadcrumbs. Mix well, and spoon into a greased 1-quart casserole. Combine butter and cracker crumbs; sprinkle over casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
1 lg Eggplant
1/2 c Bread crumbs
1/2 c Grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 c Butter
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 lb Mushrooms; sliced
2 cn (8-oz) tomato sauce
Peel eggplant and cook until tender; cut into pieces or mash. Layer ingredients in 1-1/2 qt baking dish. Bake uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes.
Eggplant and Rice
2 lg unpeeled eggplants; in 1" cubes
1 Bell pepper, any color; coarsely chopped
1 Yellow onion; chopped
1 bunch Green onions (5-6); sliced thinly
4 clove Garlic; minced
10 Parsley, leaves; chopped coarsely
Salt and pepper; red and black
1 c rice, brown or white; cooked
Pour a small amount of oil in large skillet, heat. Add onions, and, as they start to turn clear, add pepper and garlic. When pepper changes color, add parsley and eggplant. Cook and stir until eggplant softens. Cover skillet and braise until juice forms, and eggplant is tender. Season the veggies to taste, and stir in rice. Serve as is, or place in casserole dish, top with bread crumbs, drizzle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 degrees F just long enough to brown the top. This dish is better made the day before, allowed to chill over night, and baked the next day until heated through.
Eggplant and Roasted Garlic Spread
1 lg Eggplant, approximately 3 lbs.
2 tb Olive Oil
Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper
2 tb Roasted Garlic, to taste
2 tb Sherry Vinegar, (or to taste)
1 1/2 c Loosely Packed Basil Leaves, chopped
Cut the eggplant into 1-inch slices; brush one side lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in a preheated 400-degree oven until brown, approximately 20 minutes. When cool, scoop the flesh from the skin and process with remaining ingredients until smooth. Correct seasoning.
Can be stored refrigerated for up to one week. Yield: 2 cups
1/2 c Chopped green onion
1/4 c Water
1/2 ts Salt
1 Egg white, slightly beaten
1/2 c All purpose flour
1 c Low fat cottage cheese
1/2 c Sliced mushrooms
2 c Spaghetti sauce
1 Small eggplant. peeled, sliced
1 tb Water
1 ts Olive oil
1 c Shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 350F. In al large saucepan over low heat, cook green onion and mushrooms in 1/4 c water, until tender. Add spaghetti sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 20 to 25 min. Sprinkle salt over sliced eggplant; set aside to drain about 10 min. In a shallow bowl, beat egg white and water together. Dip eggplant in egg mixture, then into flour. In a large non-stick skillet, heat a few drops of oil over medium heat. Add eggplant slices and cook until browned, turning once; drain on paper towel. Continue until all slices are cooked. In a 13" x 9" casserole, spread about 1/2 c sauce. Add a layer of eggplant, top with 1/2 c cottage cheese and more sauce. Repeat until all ingredients are used, ending with sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake uncovered 30 min. Let stand 5 min.
Eggplant with Chicken (Or Tofu)
1/3 pound boneless chicken breast or 1/4 pound tofu
3/4 pound Japanese eggplant
6 tablespoons oil
3 garlic cloves
4 red chile peppers
12 basil leaves
2 tablespoons yellow bean sauce
- Crush garlic. Chop peppers. Slice unpeeled eggplant crosswise into slices 1/8 inch thick. Thinly slice chicken (or, if using tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes) Heat oil.
- Add garlic and stir-fry until light brown. Add eggplant and chicken (or tofu) and cook for five to seven minutes. Add red chile peppers, basil leaves, and yellow bean sauce; mix well.
- Serve immediately, since eggplant and basil turn dark if dish sits after cooking.
1 large eggplant
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/3 cup butter -- (or margarine) -- melted
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Peel the eggplant, and then cut into 3/4" slices.
- Combine butter, garlic salt, and Italian seasoning -- stir well. Brush eggplant sliced with butter mixture, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place eggplant about 3 to 4 inches from coals. Grill over medium coals 10 minutes or until tender, turning and basting occasionally.
Grilled Japanese Eggplant with Chili-Garlic Goat Cheese
8 Japanese eggplants
Salt and pepper
1/2 lb Fresh mild goat cheese like chevre
2 ts Minced garlic
1 ts Red pepper flakes
6 Basil leaves; shredded
Prepare the grill. Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise. Brush the cut edges with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. In a mixing bowl, combine the cheese, garlic, red pepper flakes, basil and a pinch of salt and blend well. Refrigerate until ready to use. Place the eggplant halves on the grill, flesh side down, and cook until almost soft, about two minutes. Remove from the grill and let cool slightly. Spread the goat cheese mixture on the warm eggplant pieces and serve at once. Serves four.
Grilled Summer Vegetables
2 sm Aubergine (Eggplants)
3 Courgettes (Summer Squashes)
1 Yellow pepper de-seeded
1 Red pepper de-seeded
1 tbsp olive oil.
1 tbsp wine vinegar.
1 Clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp chopped fresh oregano
Ground black pepper.
Cut the eggplant into quarter inch slices. Cut the squash diagonally into 1 cm half inch slices. Cut the peppers into large slices. Mix the oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano and black pepper in a large bowl. Add the vegetables. Cover with the mixture and leave to marinade for at least one hour. Cook the vegetables on a barbecue or under a hot grill until just tender, basting frequently.
Grilled Vegetable Salad
1 md Red onion; cut into 3/4-inch thick slices
1 md Eggplant; cut crosswise into 1-inch thick slices
2 lg Red sweet peppers; cut into 3/4 inch thick rings
1 md Zucchini; sliced lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices
1 md Yellow squash; sliced lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices
12 okra pods
1/4 c Olive oil
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
Salt; (optional), to taste
6 c Torn mixed greens (such as mesclun mix)
1/4 c Balsamic vinegar
1/4 c Snipped fresh basil
Brush the prepared vegetables with olive oil and sprinkle each side with pepper and salt, if desired. Lay vegetables perpendicular to wires on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium to ~medium-hot coals. Grill onion, eggplant, and pepper rings for 8 to 10 minutes. Grill zucchini, squash, and okra for 5 to 6 minutes or until crisp-tender, turning occasionally. Arrange vegetables on torn mixed greens. Splash with balsamic vinegar and top with basil. Makes 6 side-dish servings.
1 Medium eggplant -- -peel & dice
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons Olive oil
16 ounces canned tomatoes -- (drained) 16 oz.
1/2 teaspoon Brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2-cup Sliced mushrooms
1 tablespoon All-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Dried whole basil
Cook eggplant in boiling water (salted) 8-10 min., drain well. Sauté onion, garlic, and mushrooms in olive oil. Add flour, stir until smooth. Add tomatoes and other ingredients. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Layer in lightly greased 1 qt. casserole. Bake at 375 degree for 25 minutes.
Sausage Eggplant Jambalaya
4 tb Oil
4 md Eggplants
1 lg Onion
1/2 Bell pepper
Salt and pepper
1 Stalk celery
2 Cloves garlic
2 1/2 c Uncooked rice
2 1/2 c Water
1/2 lb Fresh pork sausage
1/2 lb Smoked sausage
In a large Dutch oven, sauté chopped onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic in oil until wilted. Peel and chop eggplant and add this plus the sausage (chopped in small pieces) to the wilted vegetables. When eggplant is well smothered, add salt and pepper to taste. (This should be a peppery dish, so don't spare the seasoning.) Add the rice and water next. Cover and cook until rice is tender (about 25-30 minutes) over low heat.