2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or canola oil)
2 tablespoons lemon juice (or cider vinegar)
½ teaspoon sugar
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Slice the tomatoes into ¼ inch slices. Place into a deep pie dish. Sprinkle the fresh chopped basil evenly over the tomatoes. In a small bowl or jar, mix together the olive oil. Lemon juice, sugar and salt and pepper. Pour this dressing over the tomatoes and basil. Marinate at room temperature for 1 hour. Spoon the dressing over the tomatoes occasionally while they marinate. Serve at room temperature. Serves 4
4 ripe large tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 pound brie, rind removed, cut into pieces
1 cup fresh basil leaves, cut into strips
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
2/3 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Combine all ingredients and let sit for 2 hours at room temperature. Serve with slices of French bread at room temperature so the Brie will spread.
One 9" pie crust (homemade or store bought)
5 medium size ripe tomato's sliced
1 cup chopped green onions (part of leaves included)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup Hellman's mayonnaise
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (fresh if possible)
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Prick pie crust with a fork, bake 10 minutes, and remove from oven.
- Reduce heat to 325° F.
- Pat tomatoes down with paper towel.
- Cover bottom of crust with 2 layers of tomatoes.
- Sprinkle on half the scallions, oregano, and basil and season with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, combine the cheddar cheese and mayonnaise, mix till well blended, and spread half the mixture over the tomatoes.
- Repeat layering with the remaining tomatoes, scallions, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, and mayonnaise spread.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and bake till golden and firm, about 45 minutes.
- Let pie cool slightly before slicing.
3 slices bacon
4 cups of 1/2 inch thick sliced okra
1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
salt and pepper to taste
Fry bacon until crisp. Remove from fat. Cook okra in bacon drippings. Add green pepper, onion and garlic to drippings; stir in tomatoes and cooked bacon. Add salt and pepper as needed. Cover skillet and cook an additional 15 minutes. 8 servings.
2 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup parsley
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 tablespoons margarine or butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
4 large tomatoes
- In small bowl mix all ingredients except tomatoes.
- Cut each tomato into 1/2 inch slices.
- Place in greased shallow baking dish.
- Sprinkle with herb/bread crumb mixture.
- Bake in 425° F. oven for 10 minutes or till tomatoes are tender.